Saturday, September 23, 2006

One Small Step for Nova, One Giant Leep for Nova-Kind ...

Wow ... what a relief! After years of having the Nova up on jackstands, I finally got it off of the jackstands about a month ago. Since then, I've been prepping it for more prep work, so I can paint it. That time has finally come.

Today, my father-in-law Larry, and I towed the Nova over to his barn. We started to sand the areas of the Nova body that needed some attention. It'll be a lot of work, but if I spend a couple of hours each night sanding the body of it, it should be ready for primer before next weekend.

So, weather pending, next weekend the Nova should be completely primered, and possibly even painted. It might not be painted by next weekend though, since I'll be spending a lot of time wet sanding the primer, paint layers, etc. This also depends on the weather, because with all of the rain we've been getting lately, it can add a lot of humidity to the air, which is not a good thing for paint. I can get away with primering it in high humidity levels, since I need to sand it anyway, but I do need to be careful when I lay the paint down.

Once the paint job is complete, I'll start on the motor. I picked up a 1992 Chevy 350 from the Detroit area. I probably won't do a major rebuild to it, but I will replace all of the gaskets, add a new intake, starter, alternator, etc, etc.

Well, that's the update on the Nova. I'm very excited for the restoration being where it is. It's been a long road with a lot of work.

No comments: