Monday, September 10, 2007

Fragile

Last night, unfortunately we received some truly sad news. Our friend went into early labor (19 weeks) Friday night, and lost her baby. Her daughter was born alive and although her time on earth was short, she will be a very important part of their lives forever. Her water broke a few days earlier and they were doing everything they could to prevent labor, knowing how tiny the baby still was - during that time, they gave her the name Lily Jane, a delicate flower that needed to grow and be protected. I cannot imagine what they are going through, and of course have no idea what I would even say to them right now. No words can make their pain go away, and we all feel helpless in our desire to make them feel better. I have a lot of feelings that all seem to contradict each other - about knowing that someday their lives will go on, even though right now they can't even begin to think about that. I also feel strangely guilty that we have a healthy daughter and theirs was lost... while at the same time feeling immensely grateful and lucky that this didn't happen to us. It's so confusing to feel sad, hopeful, guilty, and thankful all at once.

I was fortunate to have a very smooth pregnancy and labor & delivery. We are blessed with a healthy child. Looking back, I think I took it for granted how easy I had it, and I am sorry for doing that. Sorry also to be Debbie Downer, but I felt like mentioning this, because it's on my mind.

No comments: