Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hair!

Okay - I'm getting my hair cut Thursday. Do I just trim it and keep growing it out, cut it shorter, layers, bangs, what to do, what to do...? I am even considering a perm (eek!) because it is becoming increasingly flat and straight. I didn't think that were possible, but alas, my hair is practically disappearing. It's even falling out lately, which happened about 6 weeks after Lucy was born, and then it trailed off. This time around, it started around 2 months after Henry was born and hasn't stopped. Every time I shower, or brush my hair... it's really annoying since my hair was so thin to begin with.

I have made a doctor appointment to find out if this is at all correlated with my continuing weight loss - despite the fact that I drink beer and wine, eat lots of pasta, pizza, cookies, apples, milk, cereal, peanut butter, chicken, you name it - just a general mix of healthy foods and junk foods like I've always eaten! I also have an absence of periods ever since delivering, hair loss, fatigue (although that must be partly due to Henry still waking up a few times in the night). No I am not pregnant, and no I am not possibly pregnant. I am also not pregnant. The Internet self-diagnosis says I might have hyperthyroidism, or I might just be so busy chasing kids all day that I'm burning too many calories. Either way I am going to talk to my doc about it and see if there is a hormonal issue happening (or if I just need to eat more!), and definitely get a prescription for some good vitamins to help fill in nutritional gaps. I've started taking my leftover prenatal vitamins in hopes that it helps keep some more of my hair attached to my scalp, and in the meantime maybe my aunt/stylist can help give me a new look with the hair I do have!

2 comments:

Leticia said...

I don't know what to tell you about the haircut... what if you asked your aunt when you arrived and just let her do what she thinks would look good? Scary, I know, but maybe she would know best?! Can't wait to see what you decide!

As for the weight, does sound a lot like hyperthyroidism. I have hypothyroidism, so I kind of know what you're going through. When I finally went in to get checked out for mono (I couldn't stay awake through a workday... would seriously fall asleep at my desk), he checked my thyroid and my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level was at 32 and it's supposed to be between 0.5 and 5.0 (some say 0.3 to 3.0). Either way, at least it's an easy test to determine!

Long story short, I sure hope that you get it figured out soon!

Ron said...

Can't wait to see it!