Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Well-Viewed

In light of our attempt(s) to rearrange our living room, I am offering some quotes from familiar people about television.

We have struggled to find a way to situate our couch, chair, end table, bookshelf, and entertainment center - and the deal-breaker is always how various furniture is angled toward the television, or how we can hook the cable up to the television in a particular location...

... and it dawned on me, our lives are revolving around TV in more ways than one. While I love certain shows, I worry that we are addicted... like one could be to alcohol. Do you enjoy a glass of wine? Or do you need a glass of wine? Well, I need a glass of wine, I'm afraid. I like Matt Lauer to tell me what's going on in the world every morning. But I also need feng shui. Therefore, we're considering banishing the TV, at least until we have a different living room that allows for harmony among furniture, decor, and media. I think TV has a lot of positive things to offer, if you want to sift it out, but once you start picking and choosing, the line between "fun" and "junk" is blurred. I love the news, I love the dramas, comedies, Jeopardy!, American Idol, This Old House, Bert and Ernie...

Television! Teacher, mother, secret lover. ~Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little. ~Ray Bradbury, The Golden Apples of the Sun

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless. ~Matt Groening, The Simpsons

If you read a lot of books, you're considered well-read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well-viewed. ~Lily Tomlin

When we say "War is over if you want it," we mean that if everyone demanded peace instead of another TV set, we'd have peace. ~John Lennon

I believe in love. Yes, I believe in love! Love! Money! Love! I believe in poetry! Electricity! Cheap cosmetics! I believe in the sky over my head and my silver shoes beneath me! I believe in Las Vegas! I've been there! I know that it exists. I believe in you! I believe for you! I have a vision! I have a vision! I have a vision! I have a vision! Television! Television! Television! Television! ~Mirror Ball Man (Bono), ZooTV

No final decisions have been made. We might not be able to take such a drastic measure, but if we do, it'll be okay - summer TV is mostly reruns.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

hmm...what about this quote from the simpsons:

"no tv and no beer make homer something something"
"go crazy?"
"don't mind if i do!"

it just takes some discipline to turn that tv off when nothing is on. i have it fairly easy with no cable, but i found myself glued to the finale of america's next top model last night. (for the record, i never claimed to have discipline).

maybe a tv stand with doors to cover the tv would be an option (depending on the one you are making). it's easier to keep it off if if isn't staring at you, wanting to be part of the fun...

Mindy said...

that's the idea behind the one ron is building.. but building came to a standstill with the other things we have to do around here. i thought the same thing, if you close it off, you're less likely to "automatically" turn it on.

i we had a setup like mom and dad's, those doors would be closed all the time!