Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Piece by Piece

Last night, Ron did some mud-sanding (and we discovered a very good use for the attic fan, as we opened a window and the fan sucked all the dust out of the air rapidly!), and we made a lot of progress on our wood-laminate floor. I worked solo on the floor for a while when he ran to the store for something, and then he came back to help cut pieces (ends) while I fit them in. We had a pretty good system going, and made a ton of progress. I am definitely a lot more confident that we'll have this flooring in before Tuesday (Carpet Day). We were up until almost midnight plugging away, and were much less exhausted than usual, partly because of the after-dinner pot of coffee Ron made, and partly because it was going much more smoothly.


This morning I got Lucy up and tried to stand her on the new floor and she hung onto me as if her life depended on it! According to her toddler-logic, this floor is a terrifying deathtrap! It took a lot of coaxing to get her to stand, crawl, or even sit on the floor! I think it's because that area of the house has been an "off-limits / no-no" work zone for so long, it is completely unfamiliar territory. I'm sure she'll get used to it soon! I can't wait until she can just roam through the great room freely and I don't have to worry about tools or nails, or slivers of subfloor...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

it's looking really good. glad to hear you're making good progress!

Kelly said...

oh and... reply to my email!

Leticia said...

Wow, it's looking great (even though I didn't know what it looked like before ;) ). I don't know if I mentioned that it was great seeing you a couple of weeks ago. Rob absolutely loves Lucy's eyes, by the way :)

Good luck with the rest of your work. Hopefully when the carpet is in you'll be able to take a little break!

Mindy said...

thanks - there was a small section of parqué wood flooring in front of the front door (and closet) which acted as their "foyer" and the rest was carpet. we wanted more continuity and easier-to-clean flooring in the entryway.