Friday, July 06, 2007

Jury Duty

I have been selected for Jury Duty! I postponed my Jury Duty service last year, as my appearance date was going to be right around my due date. I chose a random week the following summer to appear, and this coming Monday is the beginning of that week. Little did I know at the time that next Thursday is the day I am leaving for Maryland for our 3rd annual _____ weekend. We still haven't named it. Kelly. Anyway, my term runs through Thursday, as I have to be available for 1 trial or 1 week (if I'm not selected by Wednesday evening). If my trial ends Monday, I'm done. On the other hand, I could be a juror for the next "Trial of the Century" if something major happens in Kent County - but that's not likely.

From what I understand, most people appear for one day, and then they're off the hook. Perhaps their case is settled immediately, and there isn't even a trial to sit through. I'm hoping it's a one-day obligation, but I'm willing to "serve" through Wednesday. However, I am going to inform someone that there is absolutely no way I can serve Thursday. I hope that They are understanding about it, and don't threaten to fine or arrest me for contempt of court (both, according to my summons, they could do). I understand why random samplings of people are needed to serve as jurors (as opposed to only those who are a) desperate for money; b) have nothing else to do), but I'm not thrilled about it. Here's hoping it doesn't interfere with my plans for next weekend.

JURY SERVICE - A VITAL FUNCTION OF DEMOCRACY
Jurty Duty is one of the most important duties that members of a free society are called upon to perform. The jury is an expression of the democtratic idea that authority can be exercised most equitably only if people participate. We think you will find jury duty to be a very interesting experience and will give you the opportunity to learn more about our system of justice and how it works.

This message is on my instructions. It is meant to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about jury duty.

No comments: